module string.py

Mark McEahern marklists at mceahern.com
Thu Jun 20 08:24:59 EDT 2002

> 1)  looking at the module "string.py" I have seen that are described
> some functions like "lower", "rjust", etc. Ther problem is that it
> seems not to describe exactly how this functions are made, but there
> is only a comment about their properties. So in which file are these
> functions described?

Just so you know, those functions are also attributes of strings:

  >>> s = "foo"
  >>> s.upper()
  FOO

For documentation, rely on the __doc__ strings:

  >>> print s.upper.__doc__
  S.upper() -> string

  Return a copy of the ...

Or, use help():

  >>> help(s.upper)

(press q to close the resulting screen)

> 2) I tried to cancel the file "string.py". After that, the Python
> Interpreter doesn't work anymore (it can't even start working). Why?

What do you mean by "cancel"?  Did you delete it?

// m
-