How to play a .wav sound?

James T. Dennis jadestar at idiom.com
Tue Jun 11 05:07:38 EDT 2002

Erlend J. Leiknes <nookieNO_SP_AM at online.no> wrote:

> Think this should work... not tested.

 I doesn't.  I doesn't in principle (cat foo.wav > /dev/dsp doesn't work
 for me) and the code is wrong in at least one spot:

>         sdata = f.read(1024)
>         while sdata:
>             d.write(sdata)

 that would only copy 1K of data

> "Bruno Bellamy" <bellamy at neverland.net> wrote in message
> news:ad8jo7$ohl$1 at wanadoo.fr...
>> I guess the question has probably been asked many times, sorry for
>> bothering...
>> But I searched here and there, and I couldn't find how to do that, simply
>> play a .wav sound from a python program using Tkinter.

>> Moreover, I need to do that in a program that would run similarly under
>> Linux and Windows.

>> I saw there's a python module called wave, but it seems it can only read
>> .wav files. I coulnd't find a way to actually play the sound. Maybe it's
>> hidden somewhere?

>> If anybody can help me, that would be cool. :)

 I was stumped for a little while last night as well.  Unfortunately
 I don't have a simple working example, yet; but it looks like
 pysolsoundserver.so and the PySol (Python Solitaire) sources might
 be a good start.  Apparently PyGame also has some sophisticated
 sound handling.  There doesn't seem to be a way to do it (easily)
 with the standard libraries, though.