newbie system() question

Dan Larsen dl at bestpriceeu.com
Sun Jun 9 09:03:35 EDT 2002

Hi all :o)
Im trying to run a script on a FreeBSD 4.0 system.
It works as long as I start it like "python myprogram.py", but as soon as I
run it in the background, it is stopped, and I have to make it run in the
foreground to continue i.e. "fg %1"... I know it is a call to a system(""),
that makes it stop... The system() call runs a program that outputs some
text... how do I stop it doing so? It doesn't help telling it to do stuff
like "program >& /dev/null &"... Isn't there a function, where all output
from the command, is parsed to a variable?

Thanx in advance :o)
Dan Larsen