how to configure the search path for PyBuildExt.detect_modules in setup.py

Rostislav Chudoba rch at baustatik.rwth-aachen.de
Thu Jun 20 04:29:16 EDT 2002

Hi everyone,

Is it possible to compile the suite Tcl, Tk, Tix, BLT and Python with
Tkinter in nonstandard directories: /usr/lib, /usr/include
_without_ having to modify anything in Modules/Setup?

There is a setup.py script which can detect whether there is tcl and tk in
the directories /usr/include and /usr/lib.
Why does this script does not use any environment variables for the library
and include paths?
Of course, I could edit Modules/Setup but I would have to do that for every
time I include a new version of Python. Setting enviromnent variables would
allow just copy & install procedure.

My goal is to have a system-independent suite of the mentioned packages to
avoid tedious work after each linux system upgrade.

Rostislav Chudoba