ImageMagick for Python incl. Source

Achim Domma achim.domma at syynx.de
Tue Jun 18 02:50:21 EDT 2002

"Fernando Pérez" <fperez528 at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:aelo0t$sog$1 at peabody.colorado.edu...

> Sorry to display my ignorance here, but what on earth is a "Jamfile"? You
> should either specify that to build this on other platforms you need
'bjam'
> (non-standard in the Unix world) giving a link to it, or (more likely to
be
> useful) provide a normal Makefile for the build. I tried google(bjam) and
got
> all sorts of irrelevant links. Under Linux, 99% of the people will try to
> build this using gcc/make, so a simple makefile will probably do.

ImageMagick for Python is based on boost.python, which uses the boost build
system so ImageMagick for Python uses it also. I realy like it, because it
works on windows and unix and was much easier to learn for me than make and
autoconf. But your are right, that the webpage was not clear enough. I added
a link to the required tools.

> An unrelated question: do you know what advantages ImageMagick has over
PIL? I
> ask out of honest curiosity. I've long been an ImageMagick fan, but since
> Python has sort of 'builtin' imaging support via PIL, I wonder what the

Because I have used both mainly for resizing and converting the image
format, my experiences are somewhat restricted. ImageMagick seems to support
much more image formats. I had some problems with PIL with some png types.
In general ImageMagick looks more complete to me.

> differences are. Anyway good luck with this, I love ImageMagick so I hope
> your project can be built under Unix soon.

Thanks, I'll do my best but I usually work on windows only, so I can't test
other plattforms.

Achim