constructive critisism on pythonwin IDE

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Fri Jun 7 12:43:48 EDT 2002

> sameer wrote:
> > The thing I hate about PythonWin
> > is, that despite the fact that it's a development environment, there
> > is a lot of caching done of modules, and the cached copy is not
> > checked against a potentialy modified copy.  Whenever I change the
> > contents of a file and try to run a module that depends on that file,
> > I always end up with the old copy.  I have to then import and then
> > reload the changed module in the interactive window for it to refresh.

This is how Python works, it's not anything specific to PythonWin. It
works this way because a given module might be imported dozens of times
in a given Python program, and you would want that to be done fresh each
time. Many of the other Python IDEs work this way too.

> >  It would greatly increase my productivity, if I can specify which
> > modules can be cached.

What I do is the opposite: I specify which modules can not be cached.
When a module is under develpment, I import it this way:

import modulename
reload(modulename)

that way it is guaranteed to be reloaded each time. When it's stable, I
jsut comment out the reload line.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov