wxPython question: window closing event

Mike Christie mike.christie at athensgroup.com
Mon Jun 24 13:45:59 EDT 2002

I have a specific and a general question about wxPython.  I have worked with
GUIs and event-handlers before, but am new to both wxPython and Python itself.

The specific question is: how do I attach code to the window closing event
that occurs when (in MS Windows systems) you click the X in the top right
corner of the screen?  It appears I need to place a "self.close(true)" there,
since exiting via an exit menu (which does call "self.close(true)") shuts
things down politely, but exiting via the X leaves the Python interpreter
still executing my script, and forces me to close Python to shut it down.

The general question is: what's the best resource for finding this sort of
thing out?  I've been working through the tutorial material at
http://wiki.wxpython.org/index.cgi/Getting_20Started which has been very
helpful indeed.  I've also made some use of the online documentation at
http://wxpython.org/onlinedocs.php which is also great.  However, for a
question like this, it seems like the right resource is something like a
categorization of events, or a reference guide for event-handling, or
something like that.   The online docs do have an "Event Handling Overview",
but I couldn't find this information there.  Is there a book or online
reference that I could use as a resource for this kind of question?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike