Plugins in Python

Hans Nowak wurmy at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 28 00:16:15 EDT 2002

Lars Yencken wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to do plugins for a program I'm writing in Python, and I'm not
> sure how exactly to do it. Basically what I want it to be able to write a
> module which loads every python file in a directory and stores an instance
> of each one that loaded successfully.
>
> I tried using exec() and compile() to run each of the files in the
> directory from my Plugins module, and had each of the files import my
> Plugins module and store an instance of themselves there, but at the end of
> it they weren't stored.
>
> Any ideas?

One way to do this is making a subdirectory and using it as a package. For
example, a structure like this:

   main.py
   plugins/
     __init__.py
     foo.py
     bar.py

If you want all the plugin modules imported, you can simply do this in
__init__.py (import foo, import bar, etc). Then all you have to do from a
program that uses the plugins, is import the package:

   import plugins

   plugins.bar.baz()
   # call baz() function in module bar in plugins directory

HTH,

--
Hans (base64.decodestring('d3VybXlAZWFydGhsaW5rLm5ldA=='))
# decode for email address ;-)