The best GUI library in python

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sat Jun 22 18:52:37 EDT 2002

d2002xx wrote:

> Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote in message news:<3D1481DE.C0331204 at engcorp.com>...
> > How fast do you need your GUI to be?  Are you talking about
> > an unacceptably slow loading time, or response time within
> > the application?
>
> Response time within the application, "idle" is. I think it's not due
> to python, because boa-constructor (using wxWindows) and some examples
> of PyQT work much faster than idle and others based on Tkinter.
>
> Well, if you doubt what I said, try to use grail. Or write a listbox
> containing 10,000 items, then wait......

So your application needs to work in a speedy fashion with listboxes
containing 10,000 items?  How fast?  Is your test simply to scroll
through the list, or is it to time the display the first time?

Grail?  I didn't think that was supported.  I did try downloading it
once, as I recall, a long time ago, but didn't get it to work.  It
was probably just me but I don't feel like trying again.

Anyway, how fast do you need the GUI to be?  The grass is always
greener...

-Peter