Gordon McMillan's Installer - Data files in the archive

Gordon McMillan gmcm at hypernet.com
Sat Jun 1 11:39:29 EDT 2002

David Bolen wrote:

> Paul Moore <gustav at morpheus.demon.co.uk> writes:

[a bunch of Installer questions that David answers
 as well as I could...]

>> On a (semi-) related note, is it possible to make Installer *not*
>> track dependencies back into the installed copy of Python, and so
>> produce executables which assume the existence of an installed copy of
>> Python on the target system?

[snip]

> I've also wanted to do this but haven't had a chance to run tests, so
> this is just my thinking on how I would do it when I get time.

[snip]

I'll add another hint. TOC's support set operations (intersection,
union and difference in particular). So if you had a TOC describing
the std lib, you could do
 apppure = a.pure - stdlib
 appbinaries = a.binaries - stdbinaries

Another hint: look at the .toc files in the buildxxx directory
and note how easy it is to cut-and-paste.

In some ways, wxPython is easier, since you can exclude it from
the Analysis (in the latest Installer release).

I believe David's right that you'll have to modify launch.c.
On Windows, commenting out the sys.path manipulations should
do it. On Linux / Unix you'd have to modify the make to use
Python's getpath.c, not my hacked version.

-- Gordon
http://www.mcmillan-inc.com/