Detecting OS and Window Manager

Martin v. Löwis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Thu Jun 6 04:35:21 EDT 2002

"Andrew Wilkinson" <ajw126 at york.ac.uk> writes:

> Basically I want to have a program that hides itself in the taskbar
> of whatever the user is running. Unfortunately there isn't (or at
> least I don't know of) a portable way of doing this. I guess I'll
> just have to mess around with looking for the environment variables
> and then code it up for KDE/Gnome/whatever.

So you really don't care that much if the user is running KDE or
Gnome, but whether the gnome-panel is running or <put in the name of
the KDE taskbar application>. This is different from "running Gnome",
since you can combine the components of either package with each
other, or, say, run gnome without running a panel.

Regards,
Martin