Web templating/db tool with best designer/coder separation?

Max M maxm at mxm.dk
Sun Jun 23 05:36:22 EDT 2002

Jon Ribbens wrote:
> In article <af2gh6$2c2$0 at 216.39.172.122>, Bengt Richter wrote:
>
> Take a look at http://jonpy.sourceforge.net/ . It almost completely
> separates code and HTML so that the designer and the coder do not
> interfere with each other.

I do understand that argument, but I almost certainly don't agree that
it is of much use.

In smaller one-of systems it makes sense, but in an app-server like Zope
where the idea is that different components can be joined together to
create a bigger application, there has to be stronger rules for layout
and design of the components so that they will automatically fit into
the bigger whole.

Page template languages is the wrong approach in this regards.

The development of the Cmf and Plone are good examples of this wrongfull
approach. They make it easy to create one single type of application,
but makes it very hard to re-use their components to build other types
of applications.

And I believe that the reason is that they are using pagetemplate
languages to bind it together, which leads to this kind of design.

I my experience, tools which separates logic from view in the
"pagetemplate" approach is doing it wrong.

The layout may be separated, but reuse of code/componentes greatly
suffers from this approach.

regards Max M