Web templating/db tool with best designer/coder separation?

Evan evan at 4-am.com
Mon Jun 24 21:35:05 EDT 2002

Bengt Richter wrote:
> No one mentioned ZPT (Zope Page Templates),
>     http://www.zope.org//Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ZPT/FAQ
>
> and from the description, this would seem to have a real advantage over all of
> the above, in that it uses attributes of html tags as opposed to special tags
> that browsers or design tools won't generally understand and render usefully.
>
> This is touted as enabling the "round trip" from graphic designer to template logic
> programmer and back using the same html source. I assume this is the "round trip"
> Paul was referring to. To me, it seems a winning point for ZPT, though I don't know
> how ZPT works out in practice.

It works out quite well, if you're using Zope.  I haven't seen much
feedback from people using it independently of Zope, so I can't say one
way or another in that case.

> Opinions on ZPT?

I like it, but then I would :-)  My wife (graphic designer) and I were
major contributors to the design of ZPT, so it suits our tastes.

There are also plans in the works for a stylesheet-like extension to ZPT
that would allow the logic (even the presentation logic) to be further
separated from the HTML, without plunging the programmer into the dark
mists of DOM-walking.

Cheers,

Evan @ 4-am