procmail replacement in Python

Christopher Browne cbbrowne at acm.org
Tue Jun 18 23:35:43 EDT 2002

In an attempt to throw the authorities off his trail, pinard at iro.umontreal.ca (François Pinard) transmitted:
> [Gerhard Häring]
>
>> I've recently looked into the procmail sources and run away screaming.
>
> ROTFL!  If I remember well, the original author knew he had a peculiar
> writing style, and was writing in some prominent file (either an FAQ or
> the README, or something like) that his style was not to be discussed! :-)
> I wondered if the new maintainer revised the sources or not, I did not check.
>
>> I'd very much prefer a Python replacement to such badly written C code.
>
> Is it bad style?  I never went as far as asserting that it was bad style,
> because tastes may differ.  Yet in that case, I knew that tastes may differ
> very widely. :-).
>
> Surely, `procmail' successfully addressed difficult problems, and did it
> rather solidly, with almost no bugs.  So, despite the writing style is rather
> alien to mine, it surely had mysterious virtues.  I could not condemn it!

The thing that would be more interesting would be a translator that
would transform procmail _scripts_ into (say) Sieve scripts.

Who cares what the procmail code base looks like if you can take the
sets of rules and transform _them_ into a form that proved more
useful?
--
(concatenate 'string "cbbrowne" "@cbbrowne.com")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/ifilter.html