procmail replacement in Python

Gerhard Häring gh_pythonlist at gmx.de
Tue Jun 18 19:59:01 EDT 2002

Does such a thing exist? I've recently looked into the procmail sources
and run away screaming. I'd very much prefer a Python replacement to
such badly written C code.

Does anything exist that I can start from? I've even contemplated not
inventing yet another filter language, but just using plain Python
functions.

If I do this, I'd like to replace fetchmail with getmail as well.

What would you suggest as approach?

- writing it as a getmail plug-in
- writing it as a standalone program to deliver to mailboxes a la
  procmail
- let getmail deliver to a temporary folder, then using my procmail
  replacement to filter into the right folders, delete spam, etc.

The third one looks to be the least likely to lose mail, but the
temporary folder approach looks like a kludge.

Gerhard

PS: I've seen something _very_ limited written in Python on Sourceforge
that only does Maildir, but the name is escaping me.
--
This sig powered by Python!
Außentemperatur in München: 23.3 °C      Wind: 0.9 m/s