Pythoniac: Thoughts on a hardware Python processor

David LeBlanc whisper at oz.net
Thu Jun 27 19:37:27 EDT 2002

Not when I looked 4 months ago, and not just now when I looked at
http://www.colorforth.com/:
"25x Multicomputer Chip
Spectacular chip! 25 microcomputers, each with 512 words of 18-bit memory.
Each capable of 2400 Mips, sustained. Awaiting funding. " Site last updated
7/2001.

> > While I think that creating a Python chip is a great and
> > wonderful idea, I doubt it will or should happen:
> >
> > [... snip ...]
> >
> > For all these reasons and more, I think a good compiler with
> > a retargetable backend is a better expenditure of time/effort
> > and would yield a result far faster then a silicon development effort.
> >
> > Dave LeBlanc
> > Seattle, WA USA
> >

> That's what I meant!! This compiler you talk about should generate
> Forth instead of the normal byte code. Hmmm... I think it's doable,
> but I've yet to learn more forth.
>
> Do you know any good resources? Online books? Good archives?
> Anything?
>
> :-)
>
> -gus

You would do better to worry about the front end before you worry about the
backend, but if you insist, then http://www.forth.org/fig.html is the place
to start. http://www.forth.com is less useful.

Dave LeBlanc
Seattle, WA USA