index() and count() methods

Grant Griffin not.this at seebelow.org
Fri Jun 14 18:14:49 EDT 2002

In article <GxproF.1y4K at beaver.cs.washington.edu>, Douglas says...

>Apologies if this is a FAQ, but I haven't run across an answer.
>
>Why are index() and count() methods of only mutable sequences, rather
>than all sequences?  I ran into a situation today where using index()
>on a tuple would have been nice.  It was easy to work around; I'm just
>curious.

This one isn't exactly a FAQ, but IIRC, a patch to this effect was once rejected
by Guido.  (In fact, I think it is even documented in Sourceforge.)  I think the
reasoning might have been that the bloat to Python wasn't worth the narrow
usefulness of the addition.

like-those-who-don't-get-enough-fiber,-python-suffers-from
  -occasional-irregularity-ly y'rs,

=g2

Grant R. Griffin                                           g2 at dspguru.com
Publisher of dspGuru                               http://www.dspguru.com