Windows versions of Python---pros and cons?

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Fri Jun 21 15:46:28 EDT 2002

Bjorn Pettersen wrote:
> > On that note: does anyone know if there is a way to turn a
> > Python script into something that acts like an application on
> > Windows...without resorting to Py2exe and the like.

> If you use the ActiveState version (not sure about the python.org
> version) this should work out-of-the-box. Just type the name of the
> script, you can even leave out the .py extension.

Actually, I do use the ActiveState version, but *.py is associated with
PythonWin, rather than the python interpreter

Mark Hammond wrote:
> Add the .py extension to your PATHEXT environment variable, and you can
> execute "foo.py" at the command prompt.  Like much of Windows, this is
> based on the extension rather than file attributes.

Which is really annoying, kind of  like the Macintosh file creator
concept: I sometimes want the file to be edited, and sometime run...

Anyway, it looks like my best bet is to re-associate *.py with the
python interpreter, rather than pythonwin. I rarely have a use for
opening pythonwin from the command line, and in the GUI, I can use
openwith from the right button menu if I want to open a *.py file in pythonwin.

Now I have to figure out how to change my PATHEXT environment variable,
which is pretty OT for this group...

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov