Zope Newbie query

Max M maxm at mxm.dk
Thu Jun 13 03:15:13 EDT 2002

Tony B wrote:

> I have been playing with zope and would like to use it properly now the
> problem I'm encountering is: How do I remotely install zope on a raq4 on
> which I am not the main raq4 administrator (i.e I have a subdirectory on
> which my site is hosted).? Do I have to have root priveliges to install and
> run zope?

No Zope can run just fine as any user. You just install Zope and make it
run on port 8080 or another free port.

Then you get the root to set up proxy for your Zope through Apache. You
then install VirtualHostMonster on Zope and you are good to go.

Well there are a few steps involved but it's not impossible. The point
is that it must run on a port that non-root users can use, and then get
proxied from Apache.

If you don't need Zope to run on port 80 through Apache, you can just
install Zope an make it run directly on port 8080. No further setup
nessecary. This will most likely give you problems with firewalls though.

regards Max M