SOLVED (Re: Python hits the spot)

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Tue Jun 25 12:27:00 EDT 2002

Peter Hansen wrote:

> > you have to admit that it was a nasty failure... is bad hardware your first
> > thought when your program fails?

I have to say, I got pretty suspicious when he said that he had crashed
Linux. I have been using Linux for years and have never crashed it. When
I have had Python accidentally eat up more memory than the physical
memory of the system, it has ground to an almost halt, but if I was
patient, I could always find a way to kill the process and recover the
system. I suspected that he had in fact not crashed Linux, but didn't
have the patience or the knowledge to know how to recover the system.

By the way, if you are having a memory leak problem, you can use
"ulimit" to limit the amount of memory a process can use, so it won't
grind your machine to a halt.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov