"Fatal Python error: GC object already in linked list"

James T. Dennis jadestar at idiom.com
Tue Jun 18 05:37:37 EDT 2002

Alexander Schmolck <a.schmolck at gmx.net> wrote:

> Just got the following in an interactive session:

>  >>> reload(awmstools)
> Exception exceptions.RuntimeError: 'maximum recursion depth exceeded' in  ignored
> Fatal Python error: GC object already in linked list

>     Process Python aborted
> Any ideas as to what might be the cause?

> alex

 I suspect that you invoked a runaway recursive function --- it called
 itself enough times to exceed Python's max recursion depth; just like
 the message says.

 I don't recommend reload(), just exit and restart (and import).
 I think reload is a hack and I'm sure I've seen caveats regarding
 this in the docs.