Pronouncing '__init__'

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Sat Jun 15 21:22:27 EDT 2002

On Sat, 15 Jun 2002 16:59:15 +0300, Oren Tirosh <oren-py-l at hishome.net> wrote:

>On Sat, Jun 15, 2002 at 01:44:10PM +0200, holger krekel wrote:
>> for oral language:
>>
>>     init constructor
>>
>> and if the context allows
>>
>>     init
>>
>> for written languange __init__
>>
>> Isn't it obvious? :-)
>>
>>     holger
>
>I used __init__ just as an example.  I meant how do you pronounce names
>with leading and trailing double underscore in general.  The magic name
>__init__ may be by far the one most commonly encountered in everyday
>programming but __there__ __are__ __many__ __others__.

Since they are formally defined and documented (somewhere, if not always obviously :),
how about calling a.__xxx__ "the formal xxx method of a?" And maybe "formal xxx" for short?

Thus you could say, "you need a formal getitem," or
"call formal new instead of init".

Of course, len('formal xxx') > len('__xxx__'), so it's more for talking
or reading silently aloud to yourself. Written, it should remain '__xxx__'.

Regards,
Bengt Richter