libpython as a shared library?

Andrew MacIntyre andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au
Wed Jun 5 04:32:41 EDT 2002

On Tue, 4 Jun 2002, Gregor Hoffleit wrote:

> Debian has had libpython as a shared lib since a while. Recently, we got
> a report that the performance of the shared version is dramatically
> slower than the statically linked version (e.g. about 30%). I made some
> pystone tests on different architectures of our GNU/Linux, and tried
> different flags for building and linking the library (and different
> Python versions), and in fact there seems a significant speed penalty
> involved as soon as the interpreter is linked against the shared
> library. The penalty has some correlation to the architecture, but it is
> significant on all tested constellations.

A result of PIC code in the shared library?  I've not been motivated
enough to try building a shared lib on FreeBSD.

E-mail: andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au  | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac at pcug.org.au            |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Web:    http://www.andymac.org/        |        Australia