[PyOpenGL] Need for a C (lead) developer...

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at rogers.com
Sun Jun 23 22:16:47 EDT 2002

of a C developer (preferably with SWIG experience) to work on
maintaining and extending the package.  Need is both short-term and
long-term; we could use an immediate helping hand, but we're also
looking for someone interested in long term work.

	PyOpenGL is a fairly large project (source-size), which is used by a
considerable number of people (latest version has been downloaded
something like 16,000 times).  Developers looking to take on a popular
project and make a name for themselves would find this a good opportunity.

Current Tasks:
	PyOpenGL is currently generated using an old version of the SWIG wrapper
generator (originally chosen because of missing features in other
versions of SWIG with the idea that the missing features would
eventually be adopted in newer SWIG versions (status of this unknown,
but some work is definitely required to use the newer versions)).  This
build process tends to create lots of problems for those porting to new
architectures, and we'd like to move off the (old, beta) version soon.
This is a fairly extensive project, and will require familiarising
yourself with the code base before making the attempt.

	We have a number of cross-platform build issues that need to be
coordinated and integrated.  In one case, we have already-submitted
patches/fixes for fixing bug(s), in others, there are patches not yet
submitted, but available.  We need these integrated and tested.
Integration is the developer requirement, we can get users with the
exotic architectures to test the fixed versions.

	We have reports of complete meltdown under OpenGL 1.3 implementations
under Linux.  This is likely a trivial build or configuration problem,
but it needs to be tracked down.

Future Tasks:
	Maintenance of the package.

	Creation of new wrappers for common OpenGL modules (optional).

	Simplification of the build system for exotic architectures.

	Insert your PyOpenGL dreams here.

Resources:
	The project has 3 administrators, myself (a designer with minimal (read
non-existent) C coding skills), Tarn (author of the current code
(current missing in action)) and Rene (who is/was primarily interested
in the building and porting work).  I work primarily on the
OpenGLContext side (which provides a series of tests for the base
implementation, and tends to uncover errors as I develop it).  I tend to
do the work on the web-site, and general answering of questions when I can.

	At the moment, we have no active C developers, and just myself working on
the administrative front.  The PyOpenGL work I'm doing is minimal due to
other projects and the fact that I'm largely unqualified for the work
that needs to be done.  I am working on a way to use fonttools for
rendering 3D text in PyOpenGL+OpenGLContext, but that's not going to
help with the general coding that needs to get done.

How to Get Involved:
	If you'd be interested in working as a developer, let me know and I'll
see about adding you to the developer list. People familiar with the
PyOpenGL codebase and project would be especially welcome.

	http://pyopengl.sourceforge.net/

With thanks,
Mike Fletcher

   Mike C. Fletcher