Newbie that don't understand

Jonathan Hogg jonathan at onegoodidea.com
Sun Jun 30 16:02:34 EDT 2002

On 30/6/2002 1:55, in article 3D1E56EC.7080203 at SPAMnwinternet.com, "Jim"
<jbublitzNO at SPAMnwinternet.com> wrote:

> Some British
> sports cars from the 50's and 60's have the positive
> terminal connected to the chassis (ground for a car),
> so they have a -12v (-6v?) electrical system (or "positive
> ground"). There is no difference, however, between the
> battery in an American car and these British cars - just
> a difference in reference point. As Einstein said, it's
> all relative..

[Still being off-topic:]

Wouldn't a positive ground car rust faster? I seem to vaguely remember
something from school physics about negative ground helping to slow
oxidation by replacing electrons in the chassis.

If I remember rightly, that's also why iron ships have (or used to have?)
zinc plates bolted to the hull on the inside. When the zinc oxidises it
gains a negative charge which replaces electrons being stripped from the
iron on the outside.

-face-screwed-up-in-desperate-recollection-ly y'rs,

Jonathan