Newby: What's the problem with this string?

fishfinger deathtospam43423 at altavista.com
Mon Jun 10 09:04:18 EDT 2002

For some reason I can't read this string from the command line ...

Khaksar, a founding member of the Taliban, said he contacted the Americans
because he feared the Islamic movement had been hijacked — first by
Pakistan's powerful intelligence agency and then by bin Laden and his al-
Qaida group.

Khaksar said he and others in the Taliban wanted to ''keep Afghanistan for
Afghans'' but found themselves marginalized because of bin Laden's
influence over Mullah Omar. Bin Laden donated suitcases full of money to
finance the Taliban's war-effort against the northern-based alliance led by
the late guerrilla leader, Ahmed Shah Massood

Why is that? And how can I make it work properly? The method I'm using is

ttt = raw_input("a string:")

netvegetable at excite.com