Why does Python mix OO concepts and non OO concepts for opera tion s on basic types?

holger krekel pyth at devel.trillke.net
Thu Jun 13 20:18:43 EDT 2002

Delaney, Timothy wrote:
> > From: holger krekel [mailto:pyth at devel.trillke.net]
> >
> > probably. With python 1.6 many methods of the string *module* were
> > included included directly with the *type* string ('str'). Most
> > python developers think that the string module should be deprecated
>
> I think "most" is a little bit strong. The general feeling that I get seems
> to be pretty much split down the middle.

maybe. IIRC GvR is in favor of deprecating it (but not any time soon).
He does have not-to-be-underestimated influence on such issues :-)

> I personally *don't* favour getting rid of the string module - there are
> many things which lend themselves better to a non-object-oriented style -
> and many of the string functions are included.
>
> Now, if the str type included *all* of this functionality, *and* was aliased
> to string, then you may have a case

which i never made.

> ... although 'import string' would still
> need to work (for backwards compatibility) until 3.0.

yes. My personal favorite is to *revive* the string module and just
deprecate superflous functions for 3.0. But i don't feel this currently is
a majority oppinion over on python-dev.

    holger