newbie: from .. import *

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Fri Jun 14 02:31:56 EDT 2002

In article <56e1eff0.0206131437.4ca8ed9e at posting.google.com>,
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jean-S=E9bastien_Bolduc?= <jseb at cs.mcgill.ca> wrote:

>I've been working with Python for a while, but never really felt
>confortable with the way namespaces are imported.

What you're dealing with isn't, strictly speaking, a namespace issue but
a scope issue.  Python uses lexical scope to determine visibility of
module globals and locals, so that static analysis of source can
determine visibility of names.  Therefore, when you define a function,
its scope stays with the module where you defined the function.

"I had lots of reasonable theories about children myself, until I
had some."  --Michael Rios