wxPython performance

Andrei Kulakov ak at silmarill.org
Sat Jun 1 12:25:51 EDT 2002

In article <3CF8E382.3A44F0DA at engcorp.com>, Peter Hansen wrote:
> Andrei Kulakov wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>>     "hello world" type program from wxPython tutorial takes 6
>> seconds to start on my cel 366 128mb system (running Debian). Is
>> this typical? Why is it so slow? I'm looking for a graphic
>> toolkit that'd be fairly quick. I don't want to use Tk because of
>> the looks.
>
> How fast do you need it to be?  (That's a serious question.
> Are you planning to open and close the application so frequently
> that six seconds is unacceptable?)

For me it's not a big deal, but I plan to write apps for
other people, and this 6 seconds just feels wrong. I guess it's
more of a psychological thing than anything else.. Anyway, it's
still not that big a deal, I was just hoping someone would say
"of course, you have to use this flag or option:
--start-in-one-second" or "pygtk will start in 2 sec". If
everythign is this slow, I'll just use wxPython and won't mind it
too much :-).

> On my blazing 233 MHz Windows 98 machine, with Python 2.2.1
> and WxPython 2.3.2.1, a hello world program I just wrote
> runs in about two seconds, for what it's worth.
>
> -Peter

Odd.. if not too much trouble, could you please try this one
(from wxpython tutorial)?

from wxPython.wx import *

class MyApp(wxApp):
    def OnInit(self):
        frame = wxFrame(NULL, -1, "Hello from wxPython")
        frame.Show(true)
        self.SetTopWindow(frame)
        return true

app = MyApp(0)