Python 2.2.1 vs. gcc 3.1?

Andrew Koenig ark at research.att.com
Fri Jun 7 13:56:47 EDT 2002

Andrew> That could be it, but I have been setting LD_RUN_PATH explicitly
Andrew> when building Python, so I don't understand why it would have
Andrew> changed.

Skip> It's been ages since I used a Solaris system, but shouldn't that be
Skip> LD_LIBRARY_PATH?  Perhaps there is no ldconfig command (anymore) on Solaris.

No -- LD_LIBRARY_PATH tells the runtime system which libraries to
use for this particular execution; LD_RUN_PATH tells the linker to
generate .so files that use particular libraries whenever they are run,
regardless of the value of LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

I want to build python in such a way that its users do not have to
set LD_LIBRARY_PATH in order for it to work; setting LD_RUN_PATH
does just that.  Or at least it did until I installed gcc 3.1 :-(