SOLVED (Re: Python hits the spot)

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Tue Jun 25 21:35:44 EDT 2002

On 26 Jun 2002 01:09:39 GMT, bokr at oz.net (Bengt Richter) wrote:

>>I=20
>>>
>>>Still curious ;-)
>>
>>I believe that newer mobile CPUs will throttle back their clock speed in
>>response to heat. This could explain the slow down. Apparently the
>                                      ^^^-- or "some of the"
>>lowest clock speed wasn't low enough to keep the CPU happy...
>>
>Yeah, I understood that (having introduced the concept into this thread, I think ;-)
                                                             ^^^^ oops, original, not this one
Siegfried certainly advertised the many shutdowns/slowdowns/"freezes". I just hypothesized:
<pats self on back>
  "I wonder how/whether the percentage calculated is affected by power management
  that slows down the CPU clock to keep it cool? Wonder if that could be happening.
  I've never looked into power management stuff. I guess there is a temperature
  where it just shuts down too, to protect itself?"
</pats self on back><Need it today ;-p /> RPM1 was apparently also onto it when he
cryptically said, "Just curious, is your laptop a Hewlitt Packard?"

>But it was not clear to me whether that explained _everything_ (see other post re two
>readings of "On my stationary machine definitely not. The 8 steps remain constant." ;-)

Regards,
Bengt Richter