Using tcl/tk 8.3.4.2 with Python 2.2 on XP

Edward K. Ream edream at tds.net
Mon Jun 3 07:57:28 EDT 2002

Hi all,

This may be something trivial, but the answer doesn't seem to jump out
at me from the FAQ or the Tkinter page at:
http://python.org/topics/tkinter/download.html

I would like to use tcl/tk 8.3.4.2 with Python/tkinter 2.2 on Windows
XP. Apparently the Python 2.2 distribution uses tcl/tk 8.3.2.  Is there
some way to use tcl/tk 8.3.4.2 with the binary Python 2.2 distribution
on XP?  The thoughts I have:

1.  set an environment variable somewhere or
2.  just move the 8.3.4.2 dll's into the Python22/tcl folder.

Neither seems likely to work well, as there may be problems with header
compatibility, and there are more 8.3.4.2 dll's than dll's in
Python22/tcl.

I hope the next version of Python will come with tcl/tk 8.3.4 or higher
right out of the box.  This will allow us to use wm_iconbitmap(bitmap)
to set (at last!) the default icon for tk frames.

Edward
Edward K. Ream   email:  edream at tds.net
Leo: Literate Editor with Outlines
Leo: http://personalpages.tds.net/~edream/front.html