[ANN] constraint-0.2

Magnus Lie Hetland mlh at vier.idi.ntnu.no
Sat Jun 8 18:22:05 EDT 2002

In article <mailman.1023468735.788.python-list at python.org>, Alexandre wrote:
>Logilab has released constraint-0.2.
>
>The constraint package is an extensible Constraint Satisfaction Problem
>(CSP) solver using constraint propagation algorithms written in 100%
>pure Python (tested with Python 2.1)
[snip]
>How well does it perform?
> * 8-queens problems solved in 15 seconds on my 1GHz PC

Interesting... The package looks really cool, but the performance in
this example is truly abysmal. The simple queens.py found in the
standard Python distribution solves the 8-queens problem (finds all
solutions) in 0.11 seconds on an 800MHz PC. I guess maybe that't the
price you have to pay for generality... On the other hand, a speedup
factor of well over 100 seems to indicate a potential for
streamlining... Maybe?

- Magnus (who hasn't looked at the internals, and who looks forward to
  playing around with the package :)

--
Magnus Lie Hetland                                  The Anygui Project
http://hetland.org                                  http://anygui.org