getting windows processes list

bowman bowman at montana.com
Tue Jun 4 00:08:34 EDT 2002

David LeBlanc wrote:

> I'm not sure that mere mortal programs are allowed access to that
> information due to Window's (NT's) arcane idea of what constitutes
> security. I think you're doing well to get your own PID.

A User cannot get quite as much information as an Administrator, but there
is quite a bit available. If WMI is installed, that is probably the easiest
way. The psapi.dll offers another handy interface. The last ditch is to
open the PerformanceData and paw around, but this tends to be a little slow
since it really isn't a static part of the Registry, but is built on the
fly.