wxPython performance

Benno benjl at cse.unsw.edu.au
Sat Jun 1 20:39:07 EDT 2002

Andrei Kulakov <ak at silmarill.org> wrote in message news:<slrnafhmoa.389.ak at ak.silmarill.org>...
> Hello,
>
>     "hello world" type program from wxPython tutorial takes 6
> seconds to start on my cel 366 128mb system (running Debian). Is
> this typical? Why is it so slow? I'm looking for a graphic
> toolkit that'd be fairly quick. I don't want to use Tk because of
> the looks.

I was using wxPython for a while. The main advantage being that it was
going to be cross platform, however I found its speed too slow. (Not startup
speed, which is fairly irrelevant to me, but just general responsiveness.)
I'm not sure if this was just wxWindows itself or the python bindings.

I have started using pygtk <http://www.daa.com.au/~james/pygtk/> (easily
apt-getable). The only problem I've had with this is the lack of docs.
http://www.moeraki.com/pygtktutorial/gtk-tut.html, seems to be the best
available, followed by reading the source.

Cheers,

Benno