Make me beautiful (code needs help)

Fernando Perez fperez528 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 24 13:52:55 EDT 2002

Mark wrote:

> Fernando Perez wrote:
>
>> For this kind of thing, look at Numeric. It has a ton of functions
>> ready-made for numerical processing, very convenient slicing syntax
>> (better than python lists) and as a bonus it's fast. Explicit loops in
>> python over large lists for numerical processing take an eternity and a
>> half. That's what Numeric is for.
>
> Fernando,
>
> Thanks for the tip.  Is there a "HOWTO" doc on installing Numeric?  I seem
> to recall looking at it awhile ago and seeing NumPy NumericPy NumPython NP
> (ok, I'm making them up now) ... point is, I got sorely confused as to what
> the current "numerics in python" package was.

Hi Mark,

go to:

and install Numeric-21.3, NOT numarray. Numarray is a rewrite of Numeric
(mostly backwards-compatible, but internally better) which will eventually
replace it, but it's not production-ready yet. NumPy is just another name for
Numeric :). Both NumPy and Numeric are commonly and interchangeably used in
the community, get used to it.

Installing Numeric is as easy as untarring the .tar.gz, and typing the usual
'ython setup.py install'. Everything goes where it should.

You should also grab the manual:
http://www.pfdubois.com/numpy/numpy.pdf

It's mandatory reading to make real use of Numeric.

Cheers,

f.