Using Python for processing of large datasets (convincing managment)

Anders Dahlberg sneavreet+nospam at innocent.com
Sun Jul 7 06:57:41 EDT 2002

"Thomas Jensen" <spam at ob_scure.dk> wrote in message
news:3D281AE3.3070800 at ob_scure.dk...
> Anders Dahlberg wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > Why not consider using jython?
> > Same scripting as python, better scaling to multiple cpu's - seems
atleast
> > to me as an easier solution than xml-rpc?
>
> Does it also scale well to multiple machines?
> If so, do you have any links to information regarding this?

Considering it's compiling down to java-bytecode which are then run with a
java-vm - It should scale as well as any java solution (or atleast ~90%).
Links could be:

http://java.sun.com ;)
http://www.bea.com/products/weblogic/jrockit/index.shtml - very good server
vm. (optimised for intel)

Plus that all the j2ee servers are running on a java-vm, thus any scaling
information you can gather from them should probably apply to your case too?
IIRC though, all java-code running on the default sun jvm will take
advantage of additional cpu's if they are available - no extra coding should
be required (exception from that the code should be easy enough for the vm
to "parallellize" :)

disclaimer: This is just what I believe - if you want to base your case on
this I believe you should contact other companies using java with
multiple-cpus!

> > (maybe it's easier to sell the idea to your boss too, due to java-hype
and
> > all ;)
>
> That might be a point :-)
>
> --
> Best Regards
> Thomas Jensen
> (remove underscore in email address to mail me)
/Anders