Getting Process List On *nix

Eric Brunel eric.brunel at pragmadev.com
Mon Jul 8 05:37:14 EDT 2002

Donn Cave wrote:
> For sure.  The traditional UNIX "ps" needs kernel structures that can
> move or change even between minor releases of the same platform, it's
> the farthest thing from portable.  Unfortunately, the ps command isn't
> much fun either - command line and output vary substantially between
> platforms and aren't designed for computer analysis.  Missing columns,
> columns that run together, etc.  You'll end up having to locate the
> columns in the header line, and use that as a reference for each line.

Apparently, the use of the -o option on ps seems a bit more portable. I
tried:
ps -A -o pid -o user -o args
on Linux and Solaris, and it works on both. Since Solaris has a long
history of messing up with ps options, it may be the most portable solution
you can get. And you can choose the fields you want to see too...

HTH
--
- Eric Brunel <eric.brunel at pragmadev.com> -