Solaris 9, python 2.1.3, find

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Fri Jul 26 10:39:27 EDT 2002

Marc Petitmermet wrote:

>   find /usr/local -follow -name libtk8.3.so -print
>
> the library is found. The man page for "find" states that follow is
> "Always true. Causes symbolic  links  to  be  followed". I think that
> this is not true because in may case /usr/local is a link to /p1/local
> on a second disk.

By "always true", find's manpage does NOT mean that it's indifferent
whether you specify -follow or not.  It means that, if you DO specify
it, it evaluates to 'true' -- remmember that the find command is
performing a boolean and, left to right and short-circuiting, on
its arguments (there are even explicit -o etc...).

Alex