Rating a developer

Milos Prudek milos.prudek at tiscali.cz
Fri Jul 26 05:56:45 EDT 2002

Hi,

This should be fun:

I would like to know how I rate as a Python developer. I think I'm a
poor developer, so you can't hurt my feelings! Attached is a small
program that I created. The task that it should solve is described below.

THE TASK:
Technical translators often translate texts with repetitive phrases.
This program must scan a plain text file word by word and find repeated
words. Then it must scan the same file letter by letter and find
repeated phrases and repeated parts of words.

COMMENTS:
My solution is very slow. It is all I could create within 8 hours. I
could optimize it more, but it would take considerably more time, given
my IQ.

1. Rate me as a developer on a scale of 9 to 1, where 9 is "a genius I
would die to hire", 5 is "an average guy, could be hired for grunt
work", 1 is "not skilled enough to be a developer".

2. Estimate pay rate I could earn (hourly, daily, or monthly). Consider
that the attached program took me 8 hours to create and debug.

--
Milos Prudek