SMTP for SOAP in Python

Christopher Browne cbbrowne at acm.org
Tue Jul 23 09:05:38 EDT 2002

Quoth Lars von Wedel <vonWedel at lfpt.rwth-aachen.de>:
> Hi folks,
>
> I saw a couple of libraries to support SOAP c/s in Python.
>
> However, all of them rely on HTTP as a transfer protocol
> as far as I have seen. Are there any libs using SMTP?
>
> Doing my own implementation of SMTP transport, which would
> be the best choice of SOAP library in terms of matureness
> and extensibility?
>
> From SOAPpy in the pywebsvcs module it seems, that the biggest
> part is the data type handling, whereas the actual data transport
> is a fairly small piece of the overall code. Thus, an SMTP
> extension should be easy or am I overlooking some details?

All the SMTP extension for SOAP::Lite does is to intercept the data
and throw it into an email message, perhaps MIME encoding it, so I'd
say the answer to that is a pretty clear "yes."

The unfortunate thing is that SOAP.py is seeing very scant
maintenance, whilst the alternative, ZSI, seems to no longer be seeing
maintenance either.
--
(concatenate 'string "cbbrowne" "@cbbrowne.com")
http://cbbrowne.com/info/soap.html