__del__ in classes derived from Tkinter classes

Petr Klyushkin petrk at pochtamt.ru
Mon Jul 22 03:07:58 EDT 2002

Hello, Fredrik!

 Fredrik> Petr Klyushkin wrote:
 >> So, when will Python object be destroyed?  Suppose, I have
 >> following code:
 >>
 >> def f(): test2 = Test() f()
 >>
 >> When will test2 (Python object! not a Tk widget it represents) be
 >> destroyed?

 Fredrik> maybe when the function returns.  maybe somewhat later.
 Fredrik> maybe when the interpreter exits.  possibly never at all.

 Fredrik> (and using __del__ is usually bad style even outside
 Fredrik> Tkinter, but that's another story).
 >> Why?

 Fredrik> you don't know when they're called, you don't know if
 Fredrik> they're called, and you don't know in what state the system
 Fredrik> is when they are called.

 Fredrik> for more info, search google for "finalizers are bad", or
 Fredrik> variations thereof.

I understand now, thank you for help.

--
                                                             C'ya, Peter.