Why self?

Louis M. Pecora pecora at anvil.nrl.navy.mil
Tue Jul 9 14:39:25 EDT 2002

In article <mailman.1026238754.7837.python-list at python.org>, Mark
McEahern <marklists at mceahern.com> wrote:

> What you don't see, of course, is all the people who are silent because
> they're quite happy with self. prefixes and consider this a pointless
> discussion usually kept alive by people who refuse to learn the idioms of
> Python to their best advantage.

Yeah, I may be one of those complainers.  I have tried to learn the
language well and really like it, but for some reason this self. thing
really bugs me.  (I _am_ seeing a therapist :-)  ).  I write a lot of
scientifc code and I just think

   self.y= self.x**2 * self.t/self.z + self.a * FFT(self.tseries)

is a LOT uglier than

   y= x**2 * t/z + a * FFT(tseries)

--
Lou Pecora