source installation issue

mimurra3 mimurra3 at vt.edu
Wed Jul 31 14:39:49 EDT 2002

All,

I am attempting to install Python from source on my Mac OS-X system.  I
downloaded the tar file to my desktop and expanded it there.  I ran
'./configure,' 'make,' and 'make install' without any issues.  However, the
only way I can get the interpreter to start is by going to /usr/local/bin and
typing './python'  On my Linux systems at work Python can be started directly
from any directory simply by typing 'python.'  I would like this ability also
so I am not limited to one directory.  Does anybody have any suggestions on
how to make the python executable work globally?

The only thing I can think of is that I ran 'make' etc. after expanding the
tarball from my Desktop directory.  Should I have untared it directly into
/usr/local/bin? Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I use UNIX systems
regularly but have never attempted to install a program by myself.

thanks,

Mike

Michael Murray
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
Biochemistry Department
201 Engel Hall
lab: 540-231-0505
email: mimurra3 at vt.edu