Making code 2.1 compatible

Donn Cave donn at u.washington.edu
Mon Jul 15 13:03:52 EDT 2002

Quoth "Mark McEahern" <marklists at mceahern.com>:
|>| did you know that 2.2 has been deemed the release targeted for
|>| stability by the pbf?
|>
|> Where can I read about that?  I'm curious to know what they mean.
|
| I read about that here:
|
|   http://starship.python.net/crew/mwh/europython.html
|
| There doesn't appear to be a formal announcement here, yet:
|
|   http://www.python-in-business.org/

Interesting, but only in the sense of "tantalizing".  It reads
like the author (Michael Hudson?) already knew about the basic
idea, and assumed the reader does too.

I think it would be great if there was some way to arrive at a
kind of standard milepost release version, where if you couldn't
support every single release from 1.5.2 to 2.Xb2, maybe you could
make this one a priority.  "You" means library authors, OS vendors,
application authors.  It sounds like that might be what they're
talking about - but since it's already where I'm coming from, I
could easily be reading my thoughts into it.  And the choice of
2.2 doesn't help clarify it, since it's a pretty new release.
The point is frankly to kind of deprecate some new releases,
permanently, so the real test of the idea will be the first new
release to be rejected for stability.  Just thinking about whether
these people have the stomache for that, makes me doubt it's what
we're talking about after all.  But it is cheering to read that
Laura Creighton is involved.

	Donn Cave, donn at u.washington.edu