Splitting Text files

Ken Seergobin kseergobin at sympatico.ca
Tue Jul 2 21:56:23 EDT 2002

"William Park" <opengeometry at NOSPAM.yahoo.ca> wrote in message
news:aft8lp$h4auq$1 at ID-99293.news.dfncis.de...
> Ken Seergobin <kseergobin at sympatico.ca> wrote:
> > analysing/visualizing the data.  As such, I was looking for an easy way
> > to abandon the use of mulitple unix(like) tools.
>
> "Right tool for the right job" is the key insight (as Guido would say :-)

I agree.  For ages I've used a combination of unix tools plus Gary Perlman's
|stat for data manipulation.  Almost all of that has been done in (ms-dos)
batch scripts, however.  I'm now curious about integrating the same data
manipulation with the various analysis and visualization tools available for
python.  I see that there is a Scipy project and I seem to recall that there
is a python link to R.

This recent need to split files, as described earlier, provided enough
impetus to ask about Python's abilities - with an eye to bigger picture.

Anyway, thanks for all the help.

Ken