XML overuse? (was Re: Python to XML to Python conversion)

Doru-Catalin Togea doru-cat at ifi.uio.no
Fri Jul 12 05:43:54 EDT 2002

Hei!

There has come a lot of insight so far on this thread, pros and
cons. That's good for those of us who have not yet thought things through.

> It is -- easily.  My pet peeve is the idea of using XML files for
> tasks that obviously need a real database, preferably a relational one.
>
> I think some people never really GOT relational databases, no matter
> that they've been around for decades and are so widespread, and they're
> now turning to *overusing* XML to cover up for that:-).

Personal experience:

I tried once to install MySql on my Windows ME laptop, to use it to store
the contents of a website I am working with. I found the process
cumbersome.

Even though I am working on my masters degree in computer science, I
prefer to USE computers for specific tasks, rather then configure
utilities. I appreciate very much tools where I can concentrate on
PRODUCING something with them, rather then learning how to make them work
the way I want.

Unfortunately, in my experience, freeware needs a lot of configuration in
order to work properly, and the documentation is often inaccurate.

I would like to use Linux (and I tried several times) but I am not willing
to put that much effort into configuring it as I had to.

It seems that
there is no driver for my video card (Savaga S3, 3D, tv-out) for Windows
2000 or XP, so I am stuck with Win ME. (I can run win 2000 with a generic
screen driver which gives me max. 800x600)

I could mention other difficulties I encoutered as I tried to
somehow configure my system to cover all my needs, by trying several OSs
and corresponding tools, but in order to make a long story short, I am
still working in win ME and I store the contents of my website in XML
files.

Not by choice but by need. But I'm hoping for better days.

Catalin

	<<     We are what we repeatedly do.      >>
	<<  Excellence, therefore, is not an act  >>
	<<             but a habit.               >>