Using Python for processing of large datasets (convincing managment)

Gerhard Häring gerhard.haering at gmx.de
Mon Jul 8 00:24:16 EDT 2002

* Paul Rubin <phr-n2002b at NOSPAMnightsong.com> [2002-07-07 21:13 -0700]:
> claird at starbase.neosoft.com (Cameron Laird) writes:
> > You've mentioned once already that you might do more with your SQL.
> > I can imagine that much the greatest returns in performance will
> > come from writing more of your algorithms in SQL.  That's likely to
> > be a more scalable and satisfying ap- proach than the
> > multi-processing complexities at which you've hinted.  --
>
> Actually, SQL tends to be awful slow too.  Recent Oracle versions let
> you write stored procedures in Java,

Certainly sounds like a good deal for Oracle, Sun and the chip
producers. I'm not sure if it solves any real problem.

> which are orders of magnitude faster than PL/SQL procedures.  MySQL
> also has some alternate language interfaces for stored procedures now
> but I'm not up on them.

PostgreSQL allows you to write stored procedures in Python (and Tcl, and
Perl, and PgSQL). Now that's useful.

Gerhard
--
mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de       registered Linux user #64239
web:    http://www.cs.fhm.edu/~ifw00065/    OpenPGP public key id AD24C930