Python very slow on the Sharp Zaurus - any idea why?

Mats Wichmann mats at laplaza.nospam.org
Mon Jul 22 13:32:02 EDT 2002

:Note that the Arm doesn't have any floating point unit, and that the
:floating point operations are all emulated. But I never use any floating
:point arithmetic in my game or in my Python scripts. Note also that I
:had to cross-compile the Python library myself from Python 2.2 sources,
:as there is no lightweight Python distribution for the Arm. But I don't
:get what's wrong. Does Python use floating point arithmetic internally?
:Is there something else I missed?

Did you try Riverbank Computing's port of Python to the Zaurus?
I don't know that it's going to help your speed problems, that sounds
like it may depend on something you're doing, but their port is an
effort at a trimmed-down distribution that makes sense for that
platform.

Mats Wichmann