python threads and the linuxthread pthread library

anton wilson anton.wilson at camotion.com
Mon Jul 1 14:57:39 EDT 2002

I've been attempting to understand how python threads will interact with my
Linux system (mainly the linuxthread library and the scheduler). I've
concluded that the python interpreter's context switching every 10 byte-codes
will rely on the Linux scheduler to somehow switch between threads after one
thread releases the global interpreter lock. However, I am a bit confused on
how threads interact with the python interpreter at a low level. Is the
Python Virtual Machine it's own thread? How do threads aquire the global
interpreter lock once they are awoken? How exactly do the byte-codes for a
particular thread get run by the Python interpreter? Does each thread run the
interpreter?

If anyone has any explanations, links, or pointers please let me know.

Thanks,

Anton Wilson

--
Camotion